Published by MegaHighDefinition at 10/07/2009 08:19 171 5
IMAX (short for Image MAXimum) is a motion picture film format and projection standard created by Canada's IMAX Corporation. The traditional version of IMAX has the capacity to record and display images of far greater size and resolution than conventional film systems. A standard IMAX screen is 22 metres (72 ft) wide and 16.1 metres (53 ft) high, but can vary. The world's largest cinema screen and IMAX screen is in the LG IMAX theatre in Darling Harbour, Sydney. It is 29.42m (approximately 8 stories) high by 35.73m wide — covering an area of more than 1,015 square metres. IMAX is the most widely used system for large-format, special-venue film presentations. As of April 2009, there are 320 IMAX theatres in 42 countries, with about half of these located in the United States. About 60% of IMAX venues are commercial theatres with the other 40% being located in educational venues.